en español>



NOTE: You will need a copy of the English-language Judicial Council form GC-250 to follow these instructions. Also:


Filling out the Caption on your form


Attorney or Party without Attorney” - if you do not have an attorney, fill in your name, address, and telephone number.

If you would like the court to communicate with you by fax or email, you may give them that contact information, but you do not have to. 

Attorney For (Name)” – if you do not have an attorney, write “self represented.”

SUPERIOR COURT OF CALIFORNIA, COUNTY OF” – write the name of the County where you are filing your case. Click here for location of courts.
Guardianship of (Name)” - write in the full name of the minor (child).
Check the box “Person” or “Estate”.
For Court Use Only” – Leave blank.
Case Number” – Write in the case number.


Filling out the rest of your form

Letters of Guardianship


On the left side of the form


Print the guardian's name and check  the right box or boxes ("person" or "estate"). Write the minor's (child’s) name.


Leave blank.


Leave blank.


Leave blank.


On the right side of the form:

Write the date, place (city and state) where you are signing this form. Sign your name.

If there are two guardians, both people should sign this form. After the court hearing, give this form to the clerk so that these Letters  can be certified  by the court. You may need to buy or make several copies of this form.