How to Find Information on This Site
Our goal is to provide you with the legal information you want, when you want it.
The site has two kinds of information:
1. General information that will apply to most case types.
- This will include how to use this site, how courts work, you and the courts, the glossary/ legal words, videos, and forms.
- The landing pages for general information can be found across the top of the page.
2. Procedures California courts use for different case types.
- This will include step-by-step instructions for divorce, guardianship, residential evictions, and more.
- The landing pages for procedural information can be found down the left side of the site's home page, or by clicking the word next to the icon on the site's home page.
For help in finding the information on this site, please read about the subjects that interest you:
This site has 7 tools to help you find what you need:
- Questions & Answers: A list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) organized by topic.
- Introductions: Read the introduction to the section/subject you're interested in. It can help you understand the issue and show you where to look for information.
- Site Map: A detailed listing of what's in this website.
- Search Program: Lets you look for a word or phrase on this site. The program won't search outside of this site and doesn't search documents in PDF format. Search programs work best if you use more than 1 word and if you use specific words. You will find the search box on every page, just below the navigation bar on the left.
- Glossary: An alphabetical list of definitions of legal terms. This will help you understand what you read on the Virtual Self-Help Law Center site.
- Links and Resources: If you can't find what you need in the Virtual Self-Help Law Center, the Links and Resources in every section can help you find information someplace else.
- Contact Us: If you're having trouble using the Virtual Self-Help Law Center Web site to find information, contact us. Because we get more messages than we can answer, we cannot respond to each request for help.
REMEMBER: WE CANNOT GIVE YOU LEGAL ADVICE.