Basic Information about the Courts
The courts were set up to provide for the orderly settlement of disputes between two sides in a controversy. The court system has its own ways of doing things, its own rules – even its own words, sometimes.
The main part of the website has the very specific procedures California courts use for different case types – divorce, guardianship, residential evictions, and so on.
This section of the website will give you more general -- but also very important -- information that will apply to most case types.
- This Site has how to find information on this website – and much more.
- How courts work explainS concepts and processes that you might need to use in your case.
- You and the Court gives you tips and suggestions about getting through your case.
- Glossary / legal words tells you what words mean in a court context. (And it has a link to legal glossaries in 12 other languages!)
- Video Room takes you to an area where you can sit back and watch legal information videos on your computer.
- Forms has links to the state and local forms you may need to get key information to the judge who is going to decide your case.
TO VIRTUAL SELF HELP LAW CENTER HOME PAGE
TO THE WEBSITES OF ALL COURTS IN CALIFORNIA